Federal Statutes and Regulations
There are an overwhelming number of federal laws and statutes that pertain to firearms ownership, transfer and possession. It is beyond the present scope of this site to list all of these or index them.
Many of the more common federal laws fall under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or more commonly the ATF.
ATF publishes several publications which firearms owners and licensees will find useful.
- ATF P 3312.7 – National Tracing Center Division – Information for Law Enforcement Agencies
- ATF P 3312.8 Personal Firearms Record (12/03)
- ATF P 3312.9 – National Tracing Center Division – eTrace – Internet-based Firearms Tracing and Analysis
- ATF P 3312.10 – National Tracing Center Division – Information for Industry Members
- ATF P 3312.11 – ATF Disclosure Of Firearms Trace Data
- ATF P 3315.2 – Bullets, Casings and You
- ATF P 3317.2—Safety and Security Information for Federal Firearms Licensees (Revised October 2004)
- ATF P 5300.4 – Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2005 (9/05)
- ATF P 5300.5 – State Laws and Published Ordinances – Firearms (2005 – 26th Edition)
- ATF P 5300.11 – Firearms Curios or Relics List (1972 – 2001)
- Firearms Curios or Relics List – March 2001 through June 2003 Update
- ATF P 5310.1 – Gun Free School Zone Notice
- ATF P 5320.8 – ATF National Firearms Act Handbook